Monday, July 15, 2013

Trayvon and the Rebirth of Racism



I’m not mad that George Zimmerman was acquitted.  I wouldn’t have been mad if he was found guilty.  To be honest I was very surprised that the jury found him not guilty, especially with how sensitive a case this is.
I wasn’t mad when OJ Simpson was found not guilty, though even now everyone knows that verdict was a farce.
What I am mad about is how both sides of the verdict are acting.  I am mad that this case has caused closeted racists to enter the stage and spew their hate.  Blacks, Whites, Hispanics and people of all races are acting foolish.  Trayvon’s own family asked for peace from all sides of this, HIS OWN FAMILY.  Yet we as a nation feel as if we must play a role in this case.
I’m not a sports fan, I have a favorite team only because they are from where I hail.  I have never understood when people who have a team will sit and argue for their team regarding such menial things as what the team eats or where they spend their free time.  These people are not on the team, they don’t manage the team and they have nothing to do with the team, yet they are die hard about the team. 
I expected the jury would find Zimmerman guilty.  It only made sense to save face against a society chomping at the bit for their personal opinion of justice.  Activists were (and still are) in an uproar creating a racial propaganda from the beginning of this case.  The media fudged some very important details, promoted specific pictures and left other pictures out to influence the mind of the easily swayed general public.
George Zimmerman went to court guilty until proven innocent in the eyes of most Americans.  The task was not on the prosecution to prove his guilt, as it should have been.  The task was for the defense to prove his innocence.  It was skewed from the outset.
Many people will say that because I am white I cannot understand this issue.  They will say that I was born with white-privilege, that the world is my oyster because of my skin color.  I don’t know if this is true, I certainly never received a card carrying license for this “white privilege” that I supposedly have.
People of all colors have said they want peace and to live in Harmony.  I honor Dr. Martin Luther King Jr and the sacrifice he made for Blacks and Whites to live un-segregated.  I work and live with people of all types of ethnic backgrounds.  I get along with all sorts of people, and I also dislike all sorts of people, but not because of their skin color, because of their character.
I have seen Blacks making death threats, claiming that they should commit violence.  Calling other blacks to go to Florida and bring their guns with them.  I have read Black preachers calling this verdict a tragedy, uniting other blacks and giving them reasons to hate non-blacks.  I have watch celebrities stand on soap boxes and speak on things that are not their business.  Instead of being angry at racism, they are angry at a race.  Is that not racism?
I have seen whites throwing around the “N” word and praising the fact that Trayvon is dead.  Is this what our country is all about?
When there is a fire on my ship, do I look to see if the man next to me is white or black?  When there is an awards board, do I check to see the skin color of the Sailor before I decide if he deserves an award? The answer is no! Not even the slightest thought crosses my mind.
Millions of American men and women have not died to make free only the white or only the black people of America.  What makes our nation great is that when faced with adversity we stand together.
The media and these so called “activists” have driven a stake through the heart of America, dividing us once again.  We had come so far up to this point, and have now taken a journey back.
In order to move forward, we need to stop talking about race and start talking about peace.  Start talking about how we can make our country a better place, invent things, support one another and stop living with an attitude of being owed anything.  Our own selfishness will continue to pull us apart at the seams.  We do not need another civil war, we need unity on the home front so that all our children black, white etc…will live in a country that see’s no color.

No comments:

Post a Comment